Monday, October 16, 2006

So you think you can dance???

I'm staying in on Monday nights!!!! Wait a minute.. don't I always??.. grrhhh.. (ok.. gotta quit being lame since my 'most trusted' padawan openly declared me as one... double grrrhhh)

Well, the reason for staying in on Monday nights is this:
So You Think You Can Dance 2???
(Though my Grey Anatomy Season 2 will end tonight... sob sob.. why must Danny die???!!!)

Anyway, I was almost gawking at the dance moves of the contestents.... their calibre and standards were amazing even though they are not good enough to be in the finals. Their execution, fluidity, pace, emotions and versatility just left me totally envious.. totally stunned... totally itching to dance.. And the TV show's FREE!!!

To think I paid $27 last week to watch Overdrive, a Hip Hop Dance Finals @ The Esplande Concert Hall.. What can I say... Our Singaporean finalists' standards are nowhere near the top 40 of SYTYCD2. Wade Robson Celebrity dance choreographer, producer of MTV's popular The Wade Robson Project, was the guest judge. And the only dance performance I thoroughly enjoyed was his. When it came to the final two contestents and two groups, there was a spar between the two finalists from both categories. Wade Robson would choreograph something on the spot and the final two would learn and perform... So how did the contestants fare... Oh well... did I say that the contestents were nowhere near the top 40 contestants of SYTYCD2??? Guess you can imagine what happened.. So when it came to the decision making.. Wade Robson, being nice and all, said it's a difficult decision.. I was like.. "Yup.. cos all CMI!!!"

Ok ok.. perhaps, I'm being too critical... as always with Asians.. Singaporeans in particular.. Hey.. shouldn't I be proud that the dance scene in Singapore is gaining popularity in recent times. And to think that even our 'upperty up' Esplanade concert hall was transformed into a Club-like scene (see pic) for this Hip Hop dance competition.. Hmmm.. Yup.. too critical.. But seriously, I find that such dance competitions will eventually take away the joy of dancing and rob its purity.. as with every other competition that is televised. Talent scouting it may seem but I think the producers aim to create entertainment as people like to be entertained by those who can't sing or dance as well. Sigh..

Anyway... all I'm left with after watching the show are my memories of Dance Sync.. which has sadly disbanded... And the only kind of dance I'll be doing now is perhaps the Juggling of my work admist other matters.... and at the rate I'm gg.. maybe Jelly Belly dancing....

During the credits of tonight's show.. a familar tune came up... something I heard often over the radio, whenI was in my teens..

Ooh... child, things are going to get easier...
Ooh... child, things are going to get brighter...

and it keeps repeating itself... Let's all hope that things are going to get easier and brighter...

Oh.. side tracked there for awhile.. back to my main topic...

So you think you can dance??... How I wish I can dance and perform at VT again...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home