Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Dramatic Arrival of Kaelyn Tan Rei En



Most pregnant women anticipate the birth of their child and the labour pains that accompany. I was preparing to use the epidural, looking forward to baby "rooting", our first skin to skin, first family prayer when Kaelyn is borned & hubby cutting the umbilical cord. We missed them all. One minute, I was pregnant. Two days later, I woke up dazed in the ICU operating theatre with my 36 week old premie taken away from me. I remember struggling and screaming, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe" on the operating theatre table. I remember telling myself to wake up from the nightmare. Nothing else...

After 6 days, I am finally fully lucid about what happened but somehow uncertain how it all happened in the first place. There were no warning signs... I had preeclampsia. A condition that affects 10% of all pregnancies. I was the "lucky" few I guess. My gynae warned me of gestational diabetes but not this. Even then a total weight gain of 13 kg seems normal. 

My blood pressure shot up to above 200 on 15 June (Father's Day) after a series of tension headaches. At 5 plus am, I collapsed in fits, foaming and bleeding on the bathroom floor of St. Regis hotel penthouse where we had our final staycation before Baby K was borned. Had it not been for World Cup, I'm not sure if my hubby would be awake to realise what had happened. 

I was rushed to the A&E and within an hour plus, I had a c-sect done to rescue Kaelyn though she's only 36 plus weeks. After a week, I'm finally out of the hospital though poor Kaelyn is still in the high dependency neonatal care ward. She seems to be growing well after a week but is still being fed through a tube. :(

We need your prayers so that she can quickly come home. 

On hindsight, I wonder if God allowed us to go through this experience to remind us of the important things in life and the people who really matter. This near death episode only made me appreciate life even more. It also made me realise how indebted my daughter and I are to Daryn for saving our lives. And amazingly, she came into this world on Father's Day! What a gift for Daryn. It'll be a Father's Day never to be forgotten. 

May this blog entry be a reminder of how dramatic Kaelyn's entrance into this world is and how precious life is. Thank you Jesus for keeping watch over our family. And dear God, keep watch over our lovely Kaelyn and let her come home to her parents soon. 

To all our family members and friends who were with us and helping Daryn throughout this week, a big thank you. Wouldn't have managed without your help. Pls keep praying for our daughter. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home