Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inside Steve's Brain

I was entertaining myself with www.apple.com/getamac/ads/ as I desperately tried to drown out the sounds of my tone-deaf relatives belting out karaoke songs in my house!

Yes… That’s pretty much my 'status' now on the 2nd day of the Chinese New Year.

I initially planned to accomplish several things during this seemingly long holiday. Not surprisingly, nothing is done except that I’m almost done with a book, “Inside Steve’s Brain”.

And so, when the 'music' floated to my ears, I couldn't carry on reading. I had to stop. It so happened that I was reading the section on Apple ads and so I started surfing for past Apple ads. Much to my amusement (and thankfully), the ads managed to drown out the sounds of my tone-deaf relatives. Thank goodness the next generation’s musicality is a drastic change from the previous generation (all of my cousins, my sis & I have musical backgrounds one way or another and I must say are pretty good singers ;p - guess we should be grateful that our parents provided that for us).

Now back to the book that occupied most of my CNY holidays…

There are many books on Apple but this is the first that I’ve read. I started using Apple products in 2006 but never bothered to find out more about the company or its founder. But in 2007 & 8, I started hearing more about him through a Mac believer and started to get a little more intrigued. Still, I never bothered to find out. So when I saw Inside Steve’s Brain at Borders last week, I thought it’s about time I find out more for myself.

It was like revelations. Suddenly, I relate to my Mac stuff and why they are designed in that manner. And previously heard information from SK is also mentioned in the book, creating a sense of much-desired familiarity. I particularly like the human elements in this book and how Steve Jobs’s personalities and idiosyncrasies are revealed through the way he works. It made me constantly reflect on the 16 Habits of Mind (I rather not, but I couldn’t help it) and the way I manage my area of work. It also gave me a better understanding of the Apple company.. not just what happened… but also why it happened and how decisions made in the past impacted Apple today.

It’s a pity that I’m only starting to know a little more about Steve Jobs when he’s not well. I hope he will get better and that the investors just quit harping on his health disclosure (or lack thereof). In worst circumstances, may his legacy still continue with or without him…

Some say Apple is Steve Jobs and without him, Apple is nothing. In a way, he reminds me of a significant founder of Singapore, Uncle Lee - their pursuit for excellence & perfectionism, the no-nonsense, harsh approach, lack of tolerance for stupidity but most importantly their passion to make a difference…

I doubt I'll ever be like them (and I don't want to). But I do hope to learn a little from them and hope that some of their passion and their level-headedness can be rubbed off onto me.

I can't say I'm a Mac but I think I'm slowly but surely becoming one.

And now, I shall end off with Apple's old ads which I like, subtle, intelligent & different... that pretty sums up what I like abt most things as well..






Damn! They are still singing.......
.
.
.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thu Jan 29, 07:44:00 PM, Blogger heng said...

haha. i think my brother is fiercer than me, given that he was from NCC Land. but maybe one can't tell-teaching has toughened me somewhat. hahaha.

have fun with your first batch of kids. you're their elder sister actually. the age gap not very significant. heh.

 
At Fri Feb 20, 03:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah the Apple ads...

i like the "Think Differnt" ad

had it in my laptop to show my students...hoping to inspire them to think different, be different, make the choice to better themselves...

also showed them the commencement speech at Stanford given by Steve Jobs back in 2005...actually used it as a listening test...

the speech had some pretty good food for thought...have a look at the following YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home