Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Visual, Aural Spectacular...

My first encounter with Nederlands Dans Theater performance was in 2006. Back then, I was amazed by their performance and how the props further enhanced the visual impact the performance created. It left such a lasting impression on me that it negated all the hurt that I had to bear.

Since then, I've been waiting for a chance to watch them perform again... so much so that when I was in Netherlands last year, I tried looking for tickets to their performance but alas, the timing didn't match.

During these 2 years of waiting, I tried to look for other options and went for other dance concerts... Lala Human Steps, Korean b boyz, jazz ballet, Old Sounds, Ballet under the Stars etc... each time I stepped out of those concert.. I felt disappointed.. I kept thinking about how they were not able to match the NDT's performance I watched back then. I've come to realise that there is only one dance company that I'll forever be loyal to....  no matter how much others may sway me to move on.. to consider other dance companies.. I find it difficult to love another as much as the NDT's performances. 

Nothing beats the real thing.. the one that captured my heart and mesmerised me from the start...

The dance concert I watched on Saturday was a double bill:Silent Screen and A Toss of a Dice. Silent Screen was so amazing.. at the beginning, I was already enthralled... the 3 huge panels mimicked a movie screen showing a black and white scene of a man walking into a sea.. while a couple danced in sync in some of the most unique moves.. and all these while, the music being played is the haunting theme song of the movie, The Hours. There was a lot of mood and emotions portrayed.. which stirred up quite a bit of my emotions as well... . and then there was this favourite scene (see above pic)..  I guess I don't quite make sense now...You really have to be there to appreciate the whole performance.. 

At the end of the concert, I stayed back to hear the post talk... I found myself smiling with hair raised at the ends of skin when Paul Lightfoot (the choreographer for the 1st dance) shared about how he and his wife (Sol Leon) work together to choreograph and dance together. I think it's amazing for a couple to be able to love each other and do what they love together as well...   And funnily, he revealed that he had been secretly naming his dance pieces with words starting with the letter 'S' after his wife's name Sol. Awww... that's so sweet.. 

It was a packed theatre on Saturday night.. more so than the one in 2006 and it definitely won the audience over.. 
Next year would be NDT's 50th anniversary.. I really hope that they will find a way to perform here next year... But with their popularity increasing, this will only mean that it will be harder to get tickets to their next concert. But I will persist... 

No matter how long it takes. I'll wait till I see NDT again..  hopefully soon.... 
.
.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home