Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What if you have one more day with someone you'd lost?

Finally.. I finished reading 'For One More Day' which technically could be finished within a day... simply love it..

Although it seems rather surreal, it makes me relook into my life, my past and my relationships with my closed ones...

It made me think of "the times my mother stood up for me" and "the times I did not stand up for my mother"... I think you should too... pg 138 taught me a real lesson which perhaps came too late..

The story also explores questions of regret, divorce, and how we would spend one special day with the ghost of someone we loved. The part where the main character keep chasing the elusive love of a person (his dad) who wasn't worth it in the first place seemed haunting.

There was one paragraph in the book that got me thinking...
"As the sun is going down, it's coming up someplace else in the world. .... It's such a big world.. something is always happening somewhere.. Do you ever think while something is happening, about what's happening someplace else?... "

I do....

Sometimes, I wonder what so and so is doing right now...

  • whatever happened to Susan a friend I knew in Primary One who migrated to London.. (Wow.. that's a whole separate story which I'll put as a footnote* )
  • whatever happened to Mark Ong whom I discussed marriage with at the age of 15
  • whatever happened to my 18 yr old Nepalese porter who told me he'll go back to school
  • whatever happened to my grandfathers' other families whom I've only heard of.. .never met..
Was wondering at the same time, what are the odds of another person reading this book, that line at that same point in time... or for that matter, what are the odds of a person blogging about For One More Day at this very minute. Very slim odds but not impossible... I know.. I know.. It seems trival and some people would go "Siao... nothing better do to".. .. but I believe every thought, every sense tells us something...

So, what if you have one more day with someone you'd lost, what would you do?


*footnote
I had a 'best friend' in primary one. Her name is Susan.. can't remember her surname. 'Leong' perhaps.. not sure.. One day, she told me she'd be leaving. She said London. I think I didn't know where it was only knew that it's some Ang Moh country. I didn't take it seriously. We went for recess as per normal. We sat side by side during lessons as usual and one fine day, she 'disappeared'... "migrated".. that's what my teacher said. (I had no clue what that word meant back then.. it was too 'chim' for me.)

I went home crying but hid my tears for I didn't want my mum to find out. When I realised my mum was busy, I secretly went to the phone, pulled out the thick residential telephone directory and anxiouxly flipped to "S" section.. When I got there, I was shocked... there were so many Susans... I finally found the one with the correct surname (I still can't remember what it was) and I promptly dialled. I remembered hearing a male voice over the phone. I asked for Susan.. and he said she's not in... then I remembered asking why did she leave... and I remember going on and on asking about where is she etc etc... and then the person kept asking me where is my mummy.


haha... It was only a few minutes later did I realise I could have dialled the wrong number when he told me Susan was working. Working?? Adult perhaps.. Damn (Of course I didn't curse at that age... I guess it was thinking of an equivalent of 'damn' from a child's point of view)

And with that I hung up and gave up on contacting her... didn't even say bye

I still have her picture though..

So what if I had one more day with her before she left... silly.. I get her number, her address and I'll give her mine...

Hmmm... what are the odds of Susan XYZ from Marymount Convent Class 1A (1986) reading this blog entry... hmmm...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Sat Mar 03, 10:29:00 PM, Blogger twenty28eight said...

If I could have that day, I would ask for forgiveness for all the hurtful things I did/said, do the things that both of us used to enjoy doing together and bake brownie.

 
At Tue Mar 06, 01:52:00 AM, Blogger -Joakim- said...

whenever i read the book, it always hits me once ever 4 pages..and i really break down and get EEEEMOOOTTTIONALLLL whenever it comes to Charley Benetto...

i don't know how to describe this feeling...that i have cause everything seems to be the way i'm in now..or the way i FEAR to be in..

man...

 
At Tue Mar 06, 06:03:00 PM, Blogger Master Cartwheeler said...

The future is not set as yet... It can still be determined by you... You are not Chick Benetto so don't prohesise that nor let it be a self-fulfilling prophesy... Have faith...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home