Monday, July 23, 2007

My Virgin Fireworks Shots...


Over the years, the number of people with DSLR in Singapore seems to increase at an exponential rate.. And after attending 2 Fireworks festivals, I don't see how I'll ever get a space to shoot one this year. So I thought I better shoot whatever fireworks I can and leave those real good fireworks to the professionals.

Yesterday, I forfeited $30 to shoot some sporadic fireworks at the Esplanade Bridge.... My virgin fireworks shots.... It was kinda embarassing as I was clueless as to what the settings were. I had no tripod as my quick release is still missing, rendering my tripod useless. And I stupidly left the cable release at home. Perfect evidence that it was my first fireworks photo shoot.

Luckily, I had someone with me who was not too inexperienced. She brought two tripods and helped me do the setting. But that's about it cos she said when the fireworks start, it's pretty much up to me to decide on the time I want the fireworks to be exposed.

The four minutes of fireworks were pretty much an adrenaline rush, filled with frustrations, regret and confusion, an equivalent of my past 2 years. Some were overexposed, some were underexposed. Some beautiful fireworks (the finale and the gold dust ones) I could not capture as the camera had the BUSY sign on... In the end, these were the only savable shots.. which pretty much suck due to the wrong timing... such wrong timing.

I wondered if I made the right move. Should I have gone for what I've paid for but know that things will never be the same or that I'm just throwing myself against a wall? Or should I have struggled with something new, pick things up from scratch and know that I have to move on? Though I did the latter, I'm still not sure if I have or if I'll ever do that again.

It seems impossible to shoot during this year's S'pore fireworks festival as they will be cordoning off the seats and planters area, leaving only the walkway for people to view and shoot.
.
Why must they do this when I finally have my DSLR?
.
Such wrong timing... such wrong timing.... as always.
.
.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home