Friday, March 07, 2008

What will happen from now till the next leap year?


Ex padawan: Cher... you know when I saw Wong Li Lin in The Leap Years, she really reminded me of you.....

I watched The Leap Years last week... I really liked the show regardless the negative reviews, the inconsistencies in the movie as well as the disturbing idea that everyone in Singapore seems to be speaking with an American accent! It was a feel good movie... The soundtrack is good.. especially cos of the familiar songs by Corrinne May, and one very haunting piano piece by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence which I'm now trying to play on my piano...

I got to admit... I was really flattered when I heard my ex-padawan tell me I reminded her of that main character... haha.. not that I'm anywhere near her beauty, sassiness, and confidence... It's just that the character, Li-ann, played by Wong Li Lin, did remind me a little of myself...

A convent girl... An English teacher who heads the department at 28... A person who is willing to take chances... A person who waits...

Well, if what had happened to her in reel life after the age of 28 is any indication of how my real life will turn out to be, I can foresee this future....

I'll quit teaching at 32 to set up a book store and I'll be driving a cool Blue Mini Cooper... At 36, I'll marry a dashing foreigner with long flowy hair whom I meet once every four years... (haha.. alrighty Lady 28.. you are right... that Ananda guy is cute... I give up.. ) And at 48, this man of my life will recover from a stroke to be with me for the rest of my life... wahh.. how tragic.. yet bittersweet.

Then again.... who knows what will happen in the future... I wonder how my 'blue figure' would look like...

One of the quotes I remember the most from my O level literature Text is this:

The course of true love never did run smooth - a Midsummer's nights dream by William Shakespeare

Yup... how true... It's always hard to work for love...
Hmm... maybe I should just work for a Mini Cooper at 32!!!

Then again... who knows what will happen from now till the next leap year...

It's just 1.5 for now.. and I'm happy... SRH

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Fri Mar 14, 02:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i saw the making of for this movie, i had a funny feeling that you would probably watch it...and i was just wondering when you would post your thoughts about it...and presto!

with music by Corrinne May and a theme that you can identify with it would not be too surprising that you caught the movie eventually...

interesting that you should say "it's always hard to work for love..." maybe i got it wrong but it seems to give the impression that love is something one has to earn? hmm…maybe you mean to love is hard and will take effort…

C.S. Lewis once talked about the Four Loves in his book of the same title - storge, philia, eros and agape…all would require effort but I think the hardest would be agape – to truly love unconditionally, that would really be tough, even painful…

but I guess to love is to be willing to suffer, to drink from the cup of sorrow and grief as much as there is joy to savour too…something C.S. Lewis eventually experienced firsthand when he met Joy who became his wife late in life only to see her taken away a few years later which almost wrecked his faith… you can read more about his struggles with love in his book “A Grief Observed” – indeed he tasted the “hardness” of true love…

hmm…maybe you might have already heard or even seen it but did you know that a movie (directed Richard Attenborough) about the love relationship between C.S. Lewis (played by Anthony Hopkins) and Joy (played by Debra Winger) was made back in 1993? It’s called “Shadowlands”…if you get the chance to, do watch it…i think it will leave you with much to think about what true love is perhaps and maybe even nourish the soul of a non-supergirl…

“’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all…” ~ Lord Alfred Tennyson

take care...even in your busyness...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home