Monday, November 05, 2007

For You A Thousand Times Over....


I'll never forget this quote fr The Kite Runner.........

"FOR YOU A THOUSAND TIMES OVER"

I bought the book some time at the beginning of this year.. But it just sat there on my desk... patiently waiting for me to finish my other work, read finish my other books... patiently waiting for me to pick it up.

After 7 mths, I finally did. And what it gave me was a touching and unique story...a page-turner with narrative techniques that inspire me to use them to teach .....a story that left me crying twice and I'm not even half-way through..

I finally found my cure to FB (or at least somewhat)... It's this story.

A story of betrayal and redemption.... something so familar... even as the story is set in the final days of Afghanistan’s monarchy to the days of the Taliban reign.

This story tells of how the friendship between the two boys becomes changed forever. It is a story where the antagonist pushes away his friend by being mean. The friend who said the above quote to him as a sign of his loyalty and the very person whom he had ruined. The redeeming part which I've yet to read, would be the antagonist's attempts to break his silence and guilt by his returning and by his redemption.

It got me so hooked that I missed my train stop by two stations. Yet, I'm struggling to find the time to finish this book. I'm only at chapter 11 out of 25. And I'm hesitant to read the ending after Lady28 gave me a 'preview' to it.... I'm still hopeful that things will eventually work out..

Perhaps, it's a timely thing to read it after many months since the purchase of the book...I found out recently that the story was made into a movie... Even though I know movies are usually less intense than the books, I'm still glad that the movie is coming out soon... As I was watching the trailer, my goosebumps just rose along with my emotions... I tell myself that I have to read finish the book before the release date.. slated for 14 Dec. Hopefully, it's out in the theatres in Europe by then...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home