Monday, September 03, 2007

Amazing Grace..



An ex-padawan gave me this link... Though I watched the movie (which was free for teachers) I didn't know about this MTV till now.. I did blog about that movie though in a previous
entry.
The true story bears great significance but it may not impact us as much as it is remote to us in terms of time and country.


This morning, I watched another free movie meant for teachers. I guess teaching has it's perks in this sense... I've been watching a number of free educational movies this year... Freedom Writers, Amazing Grace, Artic Tale, and Hurricane on the Bayou @ Omni-max theatre (as part of Teachers' Day's goodie.. free offer for teachers last till 4th Sept.. so hurry!!).

Hurricane on the Bayou, is a timely film which shows audience how Louisiana was like before, during and after the unprecedented devastation of Hurricane Katrina. The thing that struck me was that one of the reasons for that strong hurricane was the rapidly disappearing wetlands which served as New Orleans' first line of defence against deadly storms. I didn't know about that at all. It wasn't really emphasised in the papers. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the wetlands are vanishing at an astonishing rate of 4046sq meters every 38 minutes. And why did the wetland disappear?? Need I say it?
.
Human's indifference to preserving the envrionment.
Human's convenience & greed at the expense of the environment.
.
Again, it is a true story that may seem remote to us in terms of time and country. Frankly, I read about the diaster and seen the footages but other than feeling sorry and uttering a little prayer for them, I don't think I did anything more. Yet, watching the movie this morning stirs up emotions once again and made me wonder what we can do to stop all these environmental disasters from happening when it could have been prevented.
.
Perhaps, through education, we can one day convince the current and future generation the importance to put our environment and humanity before other secondary wants such as wealth and convenience.
.
Looking at today's article on the latest complaints by house owners of places surrounded by enblocs esates, I felt a little relieved since one of the problem areas, Telok Kurau Lor N, was a place where I briefly stayed. However, all that unhappiness could have been prevented. Don't you think it is senseless to tear down perfectly good houses and condominums just to build new ones and sell. That's such a gross waste of building materials, especially the sand and granite. Couldn't they just find some other place to build it? Yeah yeah.. location is everything. A developer can earn more if the location is right. So I guess it's "ok" to remove more sand from other countries' islands and more granite from quarries.
.
What will it take for all to realise that wealth and convenience are not everything?
What will it take for people to be less selfish and more giving?
What will it take for us to be less mean to others?
What will it take for us all to give life rather than take lives?
.
Ans: Amazing Grace.
.
Grace (noun) fr http://www.dictionary.com/
.
1. (Christian theology) a state of sanctification by God; the state of one who is under such divine influence; "the conception of grace developed alongside the conception of sin"; "it was debated whether saving grace could be obtained outside the membership of the church"; "the Virgin lived in a state of grace"
.
2. elegance and beauty of movement or expression; "a beautiful figure which she used in subtle movements of unparalleled grace"

3. a sense of propriety and consideration for others; "a place where the company of others must be accepted with good grace"
.
4. a disposition of kindness and compassion; "the victor's grace in treating the vanquished"
.
5. (Greek mythology) one of three sisters who were the givers of beauty and charm; a favorite subject for sculptors
.
6. a short prayer of thanks before a meal; "their youngest son said grace"

7. (Christian theology) the free and unmerited favor or beneficence of God

.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Wed Sep 05, 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Kungfu Hamster said...

Hey, thats amazing, i just performed the same arrangement of amazing grace in church.

 
At Wed Sep 05, 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Master Cartwheeler said...

har.. on a wednesday??? Wedding?

Great.. give me ur score.. or teach me how??

 
At Sat Sep 08, 07:32:00 PM, Blogger Kungfu Hamster said...

Quite simple to play.
Ya, was a friend's church wedding.

---
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)

Key: D


Verse 1:
D G/D D
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
A/D G
That saved a wretch like me!
D D/F# G D
I once was lost, but now am found
A/D D
Was blind but now I see


Verse 2:
T'was grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed


Chorus:
D/F# G D/F#
My chains are gone, I've been set free
G/B D/A
my God my Savior has ransomed me
D/F# G D/F#
and like a flood His mercy rains
Em7 A7 D
Unending love Amazing Grace


Verse 3:
The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
as long as life endures


Verse 4:
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be forever mine

 
At Sat Sep 08, 10:44:00 PM, Blogger of all but none of cliche errors. said...

hey teachers! haha. agnetta here, was just wondering if you know what was the movie in the song of amazing grace? i think it's a really nice show. wondering if anyone knew which show it was? loves. =]

 
At Sun Sep 09, 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Master Cartwheeler said...

erm.. the movie title is none other than "Amazing Grace"

http://www.amazinggracemovie.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home