Sunday, November 11, 2007

Emotions in Motion



Just came back from one of my dancers' wedding dinner. Beautiful. My junior, Peiru and one of our coaches, Peter, actually did a couple dance for the Bride & Groom, before their march-in. Being at a table full of ex-ajcian dancers + coach, we really reminisced non-stop. As expected, we talked abt the thing that binds us... DANCE. In the course of the discussion, I found out that I was not the only one who was absolutely in love with Emotions in Motion (affectionally known as the "balloon dance") which we performed at the 20th Anniversary AJC Concert. Silly Nicole and Chien Ning told me that they cried watching their own performance because it was so touching... I simply couldn't comprehend.... but just now when I saw the uploaded video, I understood why.

Personally, it was by far the most techinically challenging piece and the most flesh-revealing piece. It was also the one which had the most interferring props (balloons & chairs) , the one that gave me the most bruises due to the hard knocks on the chair and floor and the one with the most 感人的 music. Embeded in that dance was also the notion that a person carries many emotions- controlled at times, haphazard at times - ups and downs. I'll always remember that performance because it was my most flawless piece. I was so worried abt one step which involved doing a cartwheel on a chair.. but when it was executed properly, in sync with the rest, I was totally exhilarated.

Perhaps, it was because I was only doing one dance for that concert which allowed me the time to concentrate and to polish the steps. And so, for the upcoming concert, I'm wondering if I should back out from one of the dances. I already have too many things on my plate and training for 2 dance items seems quite impossible. I have to make the decision fast before Silva starts to do her choreography and positioning. Arrghhh...

Sometimes I wish I could perform certain dances from the past again, simply because it was so beautifully choreographed and simply because I need not learn from scratch. My batch of dancers still remembers the key steps of our SYF piece which was performed back in '97. GOSH! But then, I'm constantly reminded by situations and people around me that I have to move on. There will be more dances to come, more concerts to perform for ( I hope.. I think they are gg to kick me out fr the Alumni for staying in there too long) and greater challenges ahead as age catches up with me. But I will move on and perform the new pieces.

Yeah... am I 'on the move'?! Not too sure about that. But one thing for sure, my emotions are now in motion.... depressed, yearning, hopeful, excited, worried, cheerful, scared.....

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Sun Jan 11, 08:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... do u have the title of the music used for the dance?? the music is really beautiful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home